7 Days Slow Cooker Dishes Prepared in 1 Hour
Please Note: I haven’t included vegetable side dishes in this. I would recommend making a salad or your favourite vegetables dishes to go with each to ensure you get your 5 a day or even 10 day as they now claim you should get.
Feeds 2 adults and 2 children
- 2 x 450g lean stewing beef
- 8 Chicken plain pieces (not seasoned) , thighs and drumsticks
- 8 Good quality sausages
- 500g bacon – Cut into cubes
- 2 racks of pork ribs, split in 2 with about 6 per portion
- 4 Thick pork belly slices, rind off
HERBS & SPICES
- 1 tbsp Garam masala (optional)
- 2 tbsp Ground cumin (1 tbsp is optional 1tbsp is essential in the ribs)
- 2 tsp Turmeric (Optional)
- 1 tsp Ground ginger (optional)
- 2 tbsp Medium curry powder (6 tbsp if not using the optional spices i.e. garam masala etc)
- 3 tbsp Coarse ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Chinese five spice or 2 tbsp Thai 7 Spice
- 1 good sized sprig of Fresh thyme
- Handful Fresh basil (optional)
- Handful Fresh Coriander (optional)
VEGETABLES & PULSES
- 1 Cabbage – Washed and chopped
- 5 Mixed peppers – Sliced
- 7 Onions – 3 sliced and 4 finely chopped
- 1 Sweet potato – Peeled and cut into medium cubes
- 1 Bulb of garlic – Chopped
- 3 Carrots – Peeled and sliced
- 3 Sticks celery – Sliced
- 400g Mushrooms – Cut in quarters
- 1 Bag of potatoes – Serve however you choose, you cook these later before serving the dish. (not included in the method)
- 1 Pack rice of your choice
- 1 Bag of pasta of your choice
- 2 Beef stock cubes
- 5 Vegetable stock cubes
- 150g Brown sugar
- 7 Large zip lock or freezer bags
- 5 Tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp White vinegar
Freeze the dishes and defrost in your fridge two days before you want to cook each, remove from the bag before cooking. DO NOT defrost at room temperature!
Clear a good sized work space as you will prepare all the food bags together.
Lay the bowls of prepared veggies at the top of the table or counter, same with the herbs and spices, leave the meat to one side and the freezer bags to your left or right depending on if you are left or right handed. I am right handed so place them on the left. This makes working and filling the bags much quicker and easier for you.
Feel free to mix the peppers only divide them evenly between the 4 recipes that use them.
Open all the tins and have them ready.
- Prepare the vegetables as described in the shopping list and place in bowls
- SAUSAGE PASTA – Brown the sausages on a pan then remove and allow to cool, you don’t have to cook them fully just colour them. Place in a bag with 1 sliced pepper, 1 sliced onion, a handful of chopped basil leaves (if using them), 1 vegetable stock cube, 2 chopped garlic cloves and a tin of chopped tomatoes then seal the bag and set to one side. COOKING – SLOW COOKER – High 1.5 hours or Low 3 hours. OVEN 180C GM4 1.5 hours in covered dish. Not suitable for pressure cooking. SERVE your choice of pasta or a big dollop of mashed spuds.
- BEEF STEW Place 1 pack of beef in a freezer bag, add the sliced mushrooms, 1 sliced onion, fresh thyme, the sliced carrots and celery, 1 beef stock cube, 1 tbsp paprika (regular), 1 tin chopped tomatoes and 150ml water. COOKING – SLOW COOKER – high 4 hours or Low 6 – 8 hours. OVEN – In covered dish 180C GM4 for 2 -3 hours in covered dish. PRESSURE COOKER – pressure 80 for 45 minutes. SERVE with a big dollop of mashed spuds
- PORK RIBS – Place the ribs in a bowl then add 150g brown sugar, 1 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 3 tbsp white vinegar, 1 tbsp each of cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp Coarse ground black pepper and 1 tsp of salt. Mix really well then place in a freezer bag add 1 sliced pepper, 1 sliced onion, 1 vegetable stock cube and 1 tin of chopped tomatoes. Seal and set to one side. COOKING – SLOW COOKER – High 2-3 hours or Low 5-6 hours. OVEN 180C GM4 for 2-3 hours in covered dish. PRESSURE COOKER – pressure 60 for 45 minutes.
- BACON STEW – Place the washed and sliced cabbage in a bag then place one sliced onion on top followed by the bacon and 1 vegetable stock cube. Seal and set to one side. COOKING – Add 1 tin chopped tomatoes and 200ml water then SLOW COOKER – High 3 hours or Low 5-6 hours. HOB – in a covered pot bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours. PRESSURE COOKER – Pressure 60 for 30 – 40 minutes. TO SERVE – Add 4 peeled and cubed potatoes for the last 45 minutes.
- BEEF CURRY – Place the last pack of beef in a freezer bag then add, 1 sliced onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, the cubed sweet potato, 1 sliced pepper, and either 6 tbsp of medium curry powder or 2 tbsp curry powder and 1 tbsp Garam masala, 2 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tsp ground ginger. Then add the beef stock cube and tin of chopped tomatoes with a handful of chopped coriander if using it. Seal the bag and set to one side. COOKING – SLOW COOKER – High 4 hours or Low 6-8 hours. OVEN – cook in covered dish 180C GM4 for 2-3 hours until meat is tender. PRESSURE COOKER – pressure 60 for 45 minutes. SERVE with boiled rice and maybe my easy pan cooked Garlic and Coriander Naan Bread
- CAJUN CHICKEN – Remove the skin then place the chicken pieces in a freezer bag then add the cajun seasoning, 1 sliced pepper, 1 sliced onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1 vegetable stock cube along with the coconut milk (if clumpy mix in a bowl before pouring into the bag), seal and set to one side. COOKING – SLOW COOKER – High for 3 hours or Low for 6-8 hours. OVEN -Cook in a covered dish 180C GM4 for 2-3 hours until the chicken is tender and moist. PRESSURE COOKER – Not suitable for pressure cooking. SERVE with potato wedges or boiled rice.
- CHINESE PORK BELLY – Place the pork belly slices in a bowl then add 2 tbsp of Chinese five spice or 2 tbsp of Thai 7 spice, 1 sliced onion, 4 sliced spring onions (optional), 1 sliced pepper, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 5 garlic cloves chopped, 50 ml of water and 1 tsp ground ginger. Mix really well then place everything in a freezer bag and seal. COOKING – SLOW COOKER – High 2 hours or Low 4-5 hours. OVEN – Cook in a covered dish 180C for 1.5 – 2 hours until the pork is tender. PRESSURE COOKER – Pressure 60 for 1 hour. SERVE – Serve with boiled rice and a nice veg like broccoli, mange tout or green beans with a little drizzle of sesame oil over the top.